Learning Series: One Brick at a Time | Session 1: Designing Net-Zero Buildings - Basics and Approach
India has set itself a target to achieve net zero by 2070. Globally, buildings alone are responsible for more than 40% of the total energy consumption. In India, electricity consumption from buildings has tripled over the past two decades and the demand is expected to further increase by 50% by 2040. Additionally, several large buildings are being planned to be either near net-zero or net zero. In India, the building sector’s carbon footprint is expected to reach 60% by 2040 (as compared to 45% in 2019). Net zero buildings thus present an opportunity to reduce energy consumption and promote energy efficiency.
Net zero buildings are complex and high-performance buildings. These require special focus in building layout, design and low carbon materials, all of which will contribute to the building being net-zero. There is a need for architects, designers and others to be more aware about the design methods, construction tech and building material to be incorporated in the design stage of these buildings. However, various fundamentals of net zero buildings are often left unanswered.
Targeting the architects, planners, engineers, consultants, and entrepreneurs involved in manufacturing of low carbon alternate materials, the first session of the series addresses the basics and approach to net zero building design and construction. The objectives of this session are:
- To fuel discussion on approach to energy efficient building design,
- To present the business case for net zero buildings in India; and,
- To develop understanding and approach to net zero building design.
The expert presentations in this session will address common pitfalls and hurdles faced by building industry actors in designing net zero buildings.
- Dr. Sunita Purushottam, Head of Sustainability at Mahindra Lifespace Developers Ltd. (MLDL)
- Tanmay Tathagat, Executive Director, Environmental Design Solutions (EDS)
- Saswati Chetia, Associate Director, Greentech Knowledge Solutions (P) Ltd. (GKSPL)
- Dr. Niyati Gupta, Senior Program Associate, WRI India
- Dr. Bhaskar Natarajan, Director Programs · Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE) (Moderator)
The Learning Series is part of WRI India, AEEE, Mahindra Lifespaces and Eco Collab’s Business Charter 'Value-chain Approach to Decarbonize the Building and Construction Sector in India’.