Towards a New Carbon Market Regime: Perspectives from India and the World
WRI India, along with CII, is pleased to invite you to a G20 Business 20 (B20) - Think 20 (T20) convening with industry and experts from India and the world to deliberate on the emerging carbon market regime and how carbon markets can be designed to foster credible and sustained industrial decarbonization while addressing concerns to stakeholders and economies.
G20 economies have been scaling their ambition and efforts on the use of explicit and implicit pricing of carbon emissions. India is also gearing up to operationalize its domestic carbon market, with the Energy Conservation (Amendment) Act, 2022. Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is expected to release the framework for the market in 2023. With the announcement of new regional carbon markets, maturing of existing markets, forthcoming implementation of market mechanisms under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement as well as country and regional pricing policies such as the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM), a new global carbon market regime is emerging. It will have different implications for countries, especially developing nations.
About the event
The event will share WRI India’s research findings on a carbon market simulation with 20 Indian companies and include expert perspectives on the Indian carbon market. It will also feature reflections from experts on the design and implementation of national ETSs, and concerns and opportunities related to CBAM, Article 6 and voluntary markets.
Welcome Address by Ulka Kelkar, Director, WRI India
- Abhay Bakre Director General, Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- Ravi Pandit Chairman and Co-founder, KPIT Technologies
- Dr. Riza Suarga Chairman, Indonesia Carbon Trade Association
Session#1: Designing an Effective Carbon Market for India
Presentation on Findings from WRI India’s Carbon Market Simulation by Ashwini Hingne, Senior Manager, WRI India
- Ulka Kelkar, Director - Climate, WRI India & T20 TF4 Co-Chair [Moderator]
- Dr. Arvind Bodhankar, Executive Director & Chief Risk Officer, Dalmia Bharat Group
- Koushik Chatterjee, Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer, Member of the Board, Tata Steel Group
- Tejashree Joshi, General Manager & Head – Environmental Engineering Services, Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd.
- Deeksha Vats, Chief Sustainability Officer, Aditya Birla Group
- Bose Varghese, Senior Director – ESG, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas
- Dr. Karsten Neuhoff, Professor, TU Berlin & Head of Department, DIW Berlin
- Varad Pande, Partner – Impact, Sustainability & New Initiatives, Omidyar Network India
Session#2: International Perspectives: Towards a New Global Market Regime
- Dr. Carlos Muñoz Piña, Director – Research and Data Integrity, World Resources Institute [Moderator]
- Dr. Juan Carlos Arredondo Brun, Senior Knowledge Expert, Vivid Economics/ McKinsey & Member of Expert Advisory Group, Voluntary Carbon Markets Integrity Initiative
- Pedro Martins Barata, Associate Vice President – Carbon Markets & Private Sector Decarbonization, Environmental Defense Fund
- Dr. Ali Izadi-Najafabadi, Head—Asia Pacific, Bloomberg NEF
- Seema Arora, Deputy Director General, Confederation of Indian Industry
- Mahua Acharya,former MD & CEO, Convergence Energy Services Ltd. (CESL), Government of India
- Urmi Goswami, Special Correspondent, Economic Times
RSVP: Steffi Olickal (Steffi.Olickal@wri.org)