Just Transition and Skill Development in the Electric Vehicle Industry
The Indian automotive industry is the fifth largest in the world and creates nearly 30 million jobs. However, the current transport sector is undergoing a seismic shift as the country moves towards the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) to support decarbonization goals. With India’s ambitious target of achieving new vehicle sales of 30% EVs, by 2030, the biggest impact will be on employment generation in the automobile and transport sectors.
WATCH THE FULL EVENT HERE
The ‘Forum for Decarbonising Transport’ led by NITI Aayog and WRI India under the NDC-Transport Initiative for Asia, is organizing a webinar on Just Transition and Skill Development in the EV Industry on Tuesday, 31st May 2022 from 4:30-6:30 pm IST.
The webinar will bring together policymakers, industry leaders and researchers to discuss just transitions in the automotive and transport sectors. This includes the role of skill development programs in supporting reskilling of the auto sector workforce and promoting the inclusion of marginalized groups in the future workforce.
The webinar will comprise of two sessions.
Session 1- From ICE to Electric: Ensuring a Just Transition in the Auto Industry
In this panel discussion, we will highlight key aspects of the upcoming jobs transition in the auto and transport industry, the potential of high-quality green jobs, and best practices to navigate the transition for just outcomes.
- Jayesh Ranjan, Principal Secretary, Department of Industries and Commerce & IT, Govt. of Telangana
- P Anbalagan, CEO, Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) (TBC)
- Gunjan Krishna, Commissioner, Department of Industries and Commerce, Govt. of Karnataka
- Naveen Munjal, President, SMEV & MD, Hero Electric
- Sunjay Kapur, President, ACMA (TBC)
- Christian Hochfeld, Executive Director, Agora Verkehrswende
- Pawan Mulukutla, Director, Clean Mobility and Energy Tech, WRI India
- Samantha Smith, Director, Just Transition Centre, ITUC (TBC)
- Chaitanya Kanuri, Senior Program Manager, Electric Mobility, WRI India (Moderator)
Session- 2 Skill Development and Training for Electric Mobility
In this panel discussion, we will understand the changing dynamics of the automotive industry due to the e-mobility transition and discuss pathways for the development of skills required for the EV industry.
- Neharika Vohra, VC, DSEU (TBC)
- Ruchir Shukla, Director, Electric Mobility Program, Shakti Foundation (TBC)
- Divya Jain, UNDP
- Jai Bharathi Addepalli, Founder and CEO, MOWO Social Initiatives Foundation
- Navonil Das, Technical Advisor, Indo-German Programme for Vocational Education and Training, at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Vani Rikhy, AVP Business Development & Sales, Euler Motors Pvt. Ltd.
- Garima Agrawal, Program Manager, Electric Mobility, WRI India (Moderator)