Handbook of Clean Construction Practices in Surat: Developed Under Surat Clean Air Action Plan 2020
World Resources Institute (WRI) India, in collaboration with Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) and Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC), is facilitating the development of the Surat Clean Air Action Plan (SCAP), supported by Bloomberg Philanthropies and Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation (SSEF).
In this regard, WRI India in support with Surat Municipal Corporation and Gujarat Pollution Control Board organized stakeholder workshop on ‘Surat Clean Air Action Plan – Target Approach: Construction Sector’ in the month of November 2019. A major outcome was desired to have a Surat city-specific collation of best practices which have been enlisted in the rules and acts being monitored by the state and central authorities. This ‘guideline document’ as it was called would be beneficial for Surat city’s growing construction sector’s private players to keep their particulate matter emissions in check which are very specific to the different processes happening at construction sites across the city.
Hence, looking into the need of having guidance document specific to control sectoral emissions from the construction sector, this guidebook titled ‘Handbook of Clean Construction Practices in Surat – Under SCAP Project by WRI India’ was prepared to combine all key stakeholders’ inputs.
The document here provides a snapshot of all the available rules, regulations, and best mitigation measures required to curb particulate matter emissions specific to construction activities which can be instrumental for Surat city’s real estate developers, builders, construction contractors, officials of Pollution Control Boards, and Urban Local Bodies.
With the release of this handbook, WRI India and partner agencies involved in SCAP Project implementation would hope that this handbook will be helpful for different stakeholders involved in the construction practices to understand the air pollution mitigation actions as well as all major and minor retrofitting steps needed in the construction process to control air pollution.
With eminent support received from Surat Municipal Corporation, Gujarat Pollution Control Board and CREDAI Surat Chapter, WRI India organized a release event on the 26 November where key representatives of Surat Municipal Corporation, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, CREDAI Surat Chapter, Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, and other organizations will join WRI India.
- Moderated by Mr Bhavay Sharma, WRI India
- Introduction by Dr OP Agarwal, CEO, WRI India
- Inaugural speech by Dr Jagdish Patel, Hon. Mayor, Surat City
- Special address by Mr AD Goplani, Chairman Standing Committee, Surat Municipal Corporation
- A brief overview of the handbook by Mr Sandeep Narang, Senior Consultant, Sustainable Construction, Member, CGEM, ASSOCHAM
- Speech by Dr Jignasa Oza, Regional Office, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Surat
- Speech by Dr Jignesh Patel, Vice President, CREDAI, Surat Chapter, Surat
- Keynote Address by Shri Banchhanidhi Pani (IAS), Municipal Commissioner, Surat Municipal Corporation
- Concluding remarks by Ms Priya Shankar, Bloomberg Philanthropies