Growth of Solar PV Technologies in Tamil Nadu
The adoption of solar PV in Tamil Nadu has witnessed rapid growth in recent years. As of September 2020, installed solar capacity of the state crossed 4.1GW. This growth has been driven primarily by resource availability, market potential and cost competitiveness while being aided by advances in solar PV technology and supporting research and development initiatives.
Watch the full webinar here.
Solar PV related activities are an outcome of the Solar Policies of 2012 and 2019. The current policy targets capacity additions of 9GW by 2023. This is in line with the State’s aim for a sustainable energy transition and development of the Centre of excellence for new solar technologies.
The objective of this webinar is to explore new technologies, developments, capacity additions, policies, business models and financing to enhance knowledge on solar PV adoption in the state, in alignment with its clean energy vision.
The panel of stakeholders from academia, industry and government will discuss the latest developments, challenges and opportunities in the solar PV technology space.
The panel will address these questions, among others:
- What are the new solar PV technologies available in the market and the challenges in their adoption?
- What are some of the challenges pertaining to grid infrastructure, supply chain, land acquisition etc.?
- What should be the supporting policies to encourage new solar PV developments in the state?
- What are the favourable business models to ensure access to finance and flow of payments?
- How is the industry positioned to support the growth of solar PV technology, pre and post-COVID scenario?
This webinar is organized as part of WRI’s Innovative and New Clean Energy Technology Forum (INCETF) and the Sustainable Energy Transformation of Tamil Nadu (SET-TN). The objective of the forum is to enhance the knowledge, gain valuable insights, and accelerate clean energy transition with panel discussions from industry leaders and government stakeholders on all the latest trends and developments in renewable technology, challenges and opportunities, and case studies.
SET is a collaborative initiative by Auroville Consulting (AVC), Citizen Consumer and Civic Action Group (CAG), and the World Resources Institute India (WRI India). SET aims to facilitate higher clean energy deployment in Tamil Nadu by working with stakeholders to find sustainable and equitable solutions.
- Dr. Juzer Vasi, Professor Emeritus, IIT Bombay
- Mr. Subrahmanyam Pulipaka, CEO, National Solar Energy Federation of India (NSEFI)
- Mr. Sanjay Kumar, Head Global Strategic Sourcing & SCM, L&T Ltd
- Mr Anil Kumar, Scientist D, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Ms. Ritu Lal, Senior VP & Head, Amplus Solar
- Mr S Sankara Narayanan, General Manager, TEDA
- Dr. Lakshmi Santhanam, Co-Founder, Renkube
- Moderated by Ms. Sandhya Sundararagavan, Lead, Energy, WRI India