Virtual Launch and Round Table on "Champions 12.3 for Reducing Food Loss and Waste for Sustainable Food Systems in India"
While there is a growing momentum in the private sector for introducing low-cost solutions, leveraging technology, and devising innovative business models in the areas of harvesting, storage, primary processing, and market linkage, reducing Food Loss and Waste (FLW) is yet to become a priority action area for public and private institutions in India. There is a need for concerted efforts to increase awareness on the social, economic and environment impacts of FLW in India.
Watch the full event here
Recognising this, World Resources Institute India (WRI India) and Food and Land Use (FOLU) India is organizing this event to build a dialogue on reducing FLW in India and explore more on this issue by introducing the Champions 12.3 strategy of Target-Measure-Act in the following two sessions:
1. Launch of the WRI India working paper ‘Food Loss and Waste in India: The Knowns and The Unknowns’ by Mr Jamshyd Godrej and Ambassador Marten van den Berg
Drawing insights from the working paper, this session will share key findings on the status of food loss and waste in India – its extent, geographical hotspots, critical loss points across the food supply chains, drivers, policy environment, and stakeholder engagement.
You can read an download the working paper here.
2. Round Table on Champions 12.3 for Reducing Food Loss and Waste for Sustainable Food Systems in India
The roundtable discussion will deliberate on adapting the Champions 12.3 strategy of adopting the SDG target 12.3, measuring and reporting on FLW, and take actions on the critical loss points and hotspots in the FLW sector in India.
Following the introductory remarks by Liz Goodwin (Senior Fellow and Director, WRI), the participants will engage in a discussion with eminent speakers including:
- Nagahari Krishna, Head, Regional Hot Spots, Key Accounts, Communication & Industry Affairs, Danfoss
- Dr Geeta Sethi, Advisor and Global Lead for Food Systems, World Bank
- Prasanna Khemariya, CEO, Srijan
- Sachin Sharma, Head Channel Operations, ITC
- Pradnya Paithankar, SDG Manager, World Food Programme
- Dr OP Agarwal, CEO, WRI India
- Murli Dhar, Director, WWF-India
- Devyani Hari, Director, Centre for Responsible Business
- Dr Divya Datt, Program Management Officer, UNEP
- Edel Monteiro, Program lead, The India Climate Collaborative
- Biswarup Bannerjee, Program Manager, IKEA Foundation
- Vijay Kumar, Lead FOLU India
The event will end with a call to join the Friends of Champions 12.3 network in India as a precursor to implementing Champions 12.3.
For more information, please contact Meenakshi Kakar; firstname.lastname@example.org