Shifting Household Energy Use in Bangalore, India: Using Behaviorally Informed Energy Reports
The WRI’s The Living Lab for Equitable Climate Action, WRI India and grassroots NGO Technology Informatics Design Endeavour (TIDE) have collaborated on a new working paper titled Shifting Household Energy Use in Bangalore, India: Using Behaviourally Informed Energy Reports. The paper highlights how creating behaviorally informed energy reports for households can reduce energy use—and how scaling up initiatives like this can help reduce emissions to meet the world’s climate goals while boosting household savings across communities.
WATCH THE LAUNCH EVENT HERE
While this concept of using energy audits to impact behavior is not new, its use in India reveals that if customized to the local setting, this initiative can be scaled up to have a big impact; in fact, it may be the best example we have so far of how applying behavioral science can boost community climate action.
The webinar will discuss the paper’s key findings, followed by a roundtable discussion with eminent experts and practitioners on:
- The relevance of behavioral science in energy policy design and its effects
- Scaling the impact of behavioral interventions in the Indian context, and
- The key stakeholders and actors that need to be engaged to pilot and implement behavioral interventions.
The paper’s findings are relevant for utilities that are interested in or planning to roll out behavior change programs in their service territory as a Demand Side Management (DSM) intervention, government agencies designing and implementing communications and outreach programs on energy conservation and efficiency, behavioral since researchers and practitioners in India and globally, funding agencies interested in behavioral research and its applications and civil society motivated to drive individual behavior change/pro-environment behaviors in their communities.
The roundtable will conclude with Q&A from the audience.
- Dr. Manisha Jain, Assistant Professor, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
- Sabyasachi Pattanaik, Director, Regulatory Affairs & Market Development, Oracle Utilities Global Business Unit
- Aditya Chunekar, Fellow, Prayas (Energy Group)
- Sumathy Krishnan, Executive Director, Technology Informatics Design Endeavour, TIDE
- Pavan Mamidi, Director of the Centre for Social and Behaviour Change (CSBC), Ashoka University
- Dr OP Agarwal, CEO, WRI India
- Bharath Jairaj, Director, Energy Program, WRI India
- Sumedha Malaviya, Senior Manager, Energy Program, WRI India
- Mindy Hernandez, Lead Behavioral Science Advisor, World Resources Institute