Launching Energy Access Explorer (EAE): Assam
Access to electricity is a pre-requisite for achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) of good health, quality education, clean water, sanitation and eventually, socio-economic development.
Even though India has achieved nearly 100% household electrification, many areas continue to be impacted due to lack of access to reliable, sustainable and affordable electricity connections. While the departments of energy and health, education and livelihood have been trying to address these problems at a sectoral level, there is an urgent need to understand the links between energy and development and to adopt an integrated approach to solve some of these challenges.
To help understand these links and to develop inferences from these datasets, WRI has developed the Energy Access Explorer (EAE) platform. It is an online, interactive platform that brings together geospatial data from development and electricity sectors to support decision making.
On 31 August 2022, WRI India and Assam Energy Development Authority (AEDA) will launch the EAE platform for Assam. This platform will provide an unique opportunity to visualize the energy, health, education and livelihood indicators and will aid in decision-making processes for the accelerated development of the state. The launch will lay the foundation stone for inter-sectoral and inter-agency conversations on developing an integrated approach to improve the developmental indicators so the state can reach its full potential.
WRI India and AEDA invite academic institutions, development practitioners, energy enterprises, investors, government agencies and civil society organizations to participate in the event in Guwahati, Assam.
- Niraj Verma, IAS Principal Secretary, Dept of Power, Govt of Assam*
- Dr OP Agarwal, IAS (R), CEO, WRI India
- Varnali Deka, IAS, Deputy Commissioner, Kokrajhar
- Laya Madduri. Secretary, Dept of Science and Technology, Govt of Assam*
- Mrinal Krishna Chaudhury, Director, Assam Energy Development Agency, Govt of Assam
- Bharath Jairaj, Executive Director, Energy Program, WRI India
- Akansha Saklani, Program Manager, Energy Program, WRI India