Intern - Energy Access
WRI India is seeking an intern in Bangalore for the Energy Access work housed in the Energy Program in India. With his/her knowledge of the energy access landscape in India and an overview of the situation in other developing countries, the intern will assist the team in the on-going work of energy for development. The energy access work seeks to expand the access to energy in states where there continues to be unserved and under-served demand, while linking access to development outcomes within these states.
What is WRI?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of nearly 700 people with work spanning 50 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Ethiopia, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
The World Resources Institute India (WRI India) is an Indian environmental organization with experts and staff who work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain a healthy environment – the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being. WRI envisions an equitable and prosperous planet driven by the wise management of natural resources, and aspires to create a world where the actions of government, business, and communities combine to eliminate poverty and sustain the natural environment for all people.
WRI India aims to help solve the four most urgent challenges in India – rapid urbanization, the increasing demand for energy, responding to climate change and the large-scale degradation of natural resources. Over 75 experts and staff across three office locations – Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi – deliver these ambitious goals. WRI India is supported by WRI’s international offices, to ensure that the global organization’s experience can be brought to bear within the context of India. WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
The intern will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the energy access team as are listed below.
• Conduct research of the finance landscape for understanding the flow of finance into energy for development work.
• Conduct research on the global activities in the space of energy access and the development – including programs and projects being implemented.
• Study the policy and regulatory environment at the national and sub-national levels in developmental and energy access space.
• Identify sources of information on energy access – publicly available, in the form of publications and national and international databases.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy Access Lead and Energy Program Director in India.
Qualifications and Skills
• Degree in development studies or energy-related discipline. Masters preferred.
• Strong research skills including knowledge of databases on energy access.
• Experience of writing and using the tools like excel, word document and power point for capturing and presenting information.
• Good communications skills, willingness to engage with the team members in project discussions.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Duration: 3 months (June – August 2018)
Location: Bangalore, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online via this link. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.